POETRY Nancy Duci Denofio

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Fireside

Knees bend
close to ground –
mother’s sweater resting
on my back, sweeping
near the sand.

Toes - frozen,
extend beyond dusty
sneakers.
Heartless - a forest in
night.
A sun vanishes,
and bodies shake while
shivers crawl beneath
skin. . .

Now – we stand
close to a source of
light -
growing brighter.

A fireside - smell kindling
wood - faces turn red as heat
rises, when tiny hands
clutch a tiny – sturdy
twig…

Waiting. . .
for my - turn – left to right
anxious – I want my turn. . .
A plastic bag is passed
around the circle of
light –

Two fluffy marshmallows
placed on a twig –
promptly toasting – eating,
and observing –
what is left inside the bag –
counting to myself.

Nancy Duci Denofio – copywrited

No comments:

Search This Blog