POETRY Nancy Duci Denofio

Thursday, July 22, 2010

SILENT DAYS

SILENT DAYS


walls surround me
everywhere dolls
stare out from plastic
eyes - empty soda cans
pop - as tin expands
heat enters a room

piles of books to read
without light - yet
fill a room with sound
as clicking from a
machine mends a brain
activates cells
destroyed, or is it a
kidney?

see a rug,
brown furniture
sunlight behind a shade -
turn on a sound
machine - picture blurred
voices heard

music stings
blasting from a passing car -
open windows,
perhaps a convertible
flashy red corvette - youth
stirring in seats and yes,
Janis Joplin still
seems quite alive
filling air waves, shaking
windshields.

birds must be building
another home
together - wings flap back
and forth - back and forth
above the air conditioner
outside, near a shade tree

children sing fight,
carry on like rats in a cage
fight - fight
who will it be to run, or jump
higher than him?

a single key
as silence surrouds me
and protects me - my
chair faces a bare wall
without noise - slowly I
turn toward a window -
crying for me - oh I have
said before to walls. . .
silent days are midnights
dream for a tomorrow - while
silent nights you lay alone
and shake - in summer heat.

Nancy Duci Denofio
all right reserved

No comments:

Search This Blog