POETRY Nancy Duci Denofio

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

SLEEPING WITH THE SEA GULLS

SLEEPING WITH THE SEA GULLS

Dare I - dare I open up the drapes -
oh yes, light excites me
as you lay at peace,
extending night.

As a child's toes touch
stones, it's there I go to sit,
listen, taste salt water on my lips -
dampness on bare skin.

You are asleep
unlike the retired man - tending
to his umbrellas, sweeping
cigarette butts from his faded
redwood deck -
as least he hobbles, shuffles -
to touch light.

Sea gulls play as if on strings
begging -
a retired man,
stares at the seas,
his tanned head - bald -
pants rolled past his knees,
a pot belly resting on his thighs.

His eyes see more then those
who sleep in daylight,
extending night.

Nancy Duci Denofio
all rights reserved

No comments:

Search This Blog